Writing a novel for the first time is fun but also a challenge. It helps to put in place the habits, structure and resources that one needs to keep going until they reach the final page. Whether one is writing the first novel or just want to start a new novel on strong footing, there are certain tips to follow.
Jeff Mohlman provides tips on how to write the first novel
If you are about to write a novel for the first time, you can go through the tips mentioned below. Jeff Mohlman , a movie and book enthusiast is already in the early stages of writing the first novel, so he is presuming life after college means spending days and nights making the first novel perfect. Jeff says that there are a lot of writers who threw out their first drafts and wrote everything from the start once more. And a lot of them wrote whole chapters at least ten times before being pleased with them.
Being a writer, Jeff shares few points which one must keep in mind when writing a novel:
- Prior to writing a novel, it is important to find a book which will sustain the interest. A great story idea should include a sense of direction and purpose, tension and conflict and memorable characters, settings and dialogue.
- In case you are serious about writing the first novel, then you should divide your writing time into smaller increments. Prepare a realistic writing schedule as it is an essential foundation for finishing the book.
- Even though you can try writing your first novel without an outline, plot outlines do assist, particularly if you have not written long-format fiction earlier.
- Keep in mind that writing a novel has a learning curve, even if you have written lots of other things before. It is normal for your writing style and methods to develop naturally, quite fast. The vital thing that the writer must have is confidence.
- It is excellent to read novels written by other authors while you are writing yours. It helps you keep in touch of the readers’ side of the equation. One must be aware of the variances between the book one reading and what they are writing so one should not subconsciously start mixing the two up and start using the thoughts of someone else.
- The Internet is a superb help to a novelist. If you spend time browsing around the subject of the novel before you start, it can actually assist. It is also priceless while you are writing. It is worth remembering that most information on the Internet is an estimation so, if you are going to use it in your novel, make sure it is precise by checking it out on more than web site.
Jeff Mohlman says that even though careful planning for a novel is important at the start, one should not spend too long on it. Once a person starts writing, that individual should try to get as much done as fast.